2017 Awards & Congratulations
- Jody Acheson, BSN, MPH, RN, OCN, BMTCN, MSTI Boise’s BMT/Hematologic Malignancies Program Manager, received the 2017 Aspiring Leader Award from Nurse Leaders of Idaho.
- Joan Agee, DNP, RN, CNOR, St. Luke’s Nampa CNO, received the Award of Excellence in Patient Care from the Idaho Hospital Association.
- Bonnie Hollenbeck, MSN, MHA, RN, FACHE, VP Post-Acute Care, was selected as a 2017 Tribute to Women and Industry (TWIN) Honoree by the Women’s and Children’s Alliance.
- Jill Howell, RN, St. Luke’s Jerome CNO, received the 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Jerome Chamber of Commerce.
- Debra Ketchum, BSN, MAOM, RN, RNC-MNN, C-EFM, Senior Director of Perinatal Programs, was recognized as a 2017 AWHONN Emerging Leader by the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN).
- Valerie Leonard, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, Senior Director, Nursing/Patient Care, Magic Valley Medical, Surgical, CPU, OUIV, Admin Sups, received the 2017 Outstanding Leader Award from Nurse Leaders of Idaho.
- Mary E. Nelsen, BSN, RN, JD, Cystic Fibrosis Nurse Coordinator at St Luke’s Cystic Fibrosis Center of Idaho, was selected by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to serve as a Nurse Coordinator Mentor to a nurse from UC Davis Cystic Fibrosis Center in Sacramento, CA.
- Dawn Swick, BSN, RN, CCRN, Nursing Supervisor, Meridian ICU, received the 2017 Leader in Care Transitions Award from Nurse Leaders of Idaho.
- Lynne Wade, ADN, RN, RN-BC, St. Luke’s Wood River Med-Surg RN, received the Carl A. Gray Memorial Award for Nursing Excellence from the St. Luke’s Wood River Foundation.
- Melissa Ward, MSN, RN, Program Manager for the Unique Families Program, received the “Changing Diapers, Changing Lives” Award from SLHS Women’s Service Line and the Idaho Diaper Bank.
- Dixie Weber, MS, RN, Women’s Services Administrator, received a 2017 Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) Angels in Adoption honorarium from Members of Congress & Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
- Gretchen Blackman, BSN, RN, PICU Nurse, Boise; Meghan Cardoza, BSN, RN, OCN, Nursing Supervisor, Interim Director of 4S, Medical/Surgical Oncology, Boise; Teresa Hall, BSN, MHA, RN, CEN, NEA-BC, Senior Director of Nursing/Patient Care, Nampa; Trish Heath, BSN, RN, CIC, Emergency Management Coordinator/Accreditation Specialist, Magic Valley; Jean Richardson, ADN, RN, Crisis Nurse, Clinical Support, Boise; and Shelly Warmack, MSN, RN, CEN, Nursing Manager, Emergency Department and Trauma Program Manager, Wood River, were recipients of the 2017 President’s Award from St. Luke’s Health System.
- St. Luke’s Boise and St. Luke’s Meridian were each recognized with a 2017 Hope Award from the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank.
- St. Luke’s Health System received the 2017 IBCLC Care Award from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners® and the International Lactation Consultant Association®.
- St. Luke’s Milk Donation Center was recognized as 2017 Collection Center of the Year – Idaho during the 2017 Golden Milk Gala presented by Mountain West Mothers’ Milk Bank in Salt Lake City, UT.
2017 Nursing Excellence Award Winners
Celebrating nurses is an integral part of nursing culture at St. Luke’s. In 2016, the Nursing Excellence Awards were open to all nurses throughout St. Luke’s Health System. Nominees were recognized and celebrated for the extraordinary care and service they provide their patients, community and others, as well as the contributions they make to the nursing profession.
The award ceremony, held in May at the Riverside Hotel in Boise, was the largest to date with 28 nominees from across the system recognized. Winners were announced during the ceremony and presented with a plaque. Making the awards a system event was possible through the support of nursing leadership. The planning team looks forward to recognizing many more nurses and continuing the new tradition of the System Nursing Excellence Awards.
- Marsha Cantrell, BSN, RN, ONC, Nursing Director, 5 - Dana Gulbranson Spirit of Nursing, Outstanding Leader
- Kathleen Dow, BSN, RN, CNOR, RNFA, Director, Nursing/Patient Care, MS/OB/Swing, Jerome - Experienced Leader
- Trish Heath, BSN, RN, CIC, Emergency Management Coordinator/Accreditation Specialist, Magic Valley - Experienced Leader
- Becca Humphreys, MSN, MBA, RN, ONC, Director, Ortho-Neuro Service Line, Boise - New Leader
- Maggie Rogan, BSN, RN, CMSRN, CSU, Boise, Meridian, all MSTI & ED sites
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Jennifer Skyer, BSN, RN, RN-BC, MSTI Radiation Oncology, Nampa & Boise - Community
- Jerilyn Briten, ADN, RCIS, Cardiac Cath Lab, Boise - Hospital
- Tara Carter, LPN, Peri-Anesthesia, Magic Valley - LPN
New Knowledge, Innovations & Improvements
- Kate Olson, BSN, RN, CPN, CPHON, Pediatrics, Boise
2016 DAISY Award Recipients
- Denise Barnes, ADN, RN, OCN, Mountain States Tumor Institute (MSTI), Meridian
- Aimee Brooks, NP, St. Luke's Idaho Pulmonary Associates, Meridian
- Eric Gardiner, BSN, RN, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Boise
- Beau Lee, RN, 6 East, Boise
- Angelina O'Connor, BSN, RN, Operating Room Circulator, Boise
- Phoebe Uricchio, BSN, RN, Labor and Delivery, Boise
2017 Registered Nurse Scholarship Recipients
- Megan Kitterman, BSN, RN
- Gayle Matsumuro, BSN, RN
- Jessica McQueary, BSN, RN
- Sarah Sparks, NP-C
- Kristi Alverson, ADN, RN
- Marisa Lunghofer, BSN, RN, CPEN
- Traci McGregor, BSN, RN, CEN, BC-NE
- Katie Ferguson, ADN, RN
- Suzanne McReynolds, BSN, RN
- Ashely Rose, BSN, RN, CMSRN
- Debbie Mathouchanh, ADN, RN
St. Luke’s Wood River Foundation Staff Education Scholarship
- Shelly Abell, BSN, RN
- Joan Anderson, RN
- Katie Craig, ADN, RN
- Jayne Elgee, MSN, RN
- Kathleen Gouley, RN
- Laurie Mallea, BSN, RN, CPAN, CHTP
- Cara Nissen, MSN, RN, CJCP
- Mindy Smith, BSN, RN
Margaret Fogg Scholarship presented by the St. Luke’s McCall Auxiliary
- Debbie Nalder, MS, RN, CPAN
Magic Valley & Jerome Nursing Scholarship
- Jessica Biggs, MSN, RN, RNC-EFM
- Misty Ludlow, ADN, RN
- Eric Miller, BSN, RN
- Christiana Sipe, BSN, RN
- Sandra Torrero, ADN, RN
- Chanel Ward, RN
- Kristen Anderson, BSN, RN, OCN
- Christine Aragon, BSN, RN, RNC-NIC
- Cindi Bennett, MN, RN, IBCLC
- Rachel Elledge, BSN, RN
- Heidi Hamlin, BSN, RN
- Kaitlyn Johnson, BSN, RN, CMSRN
- Holly Lammer, BSN, RNC-OB, C-EFM
- Jessica Nyce, BSN, RN
- Amber Schwehr, ADN, RN
- Ruth Tretter, BSN, RN
- Vicki Wohlers, BSN, RN, RNC-NIC
Nursing Research Fellowship Projects, Publications, and Presentations
2017-18 Nursing Research and EBP Fellows
- Carissa Amick, BSH, RN and Ashlee Dean, BSN, RN; Mentored by Anna Rostock, BSN, RN
- Improving Staff Engagement through Authentic, Transformational Leadership Techniques
- Darian Apollo, BSN, RN, CCRN; Ashleigh Conner, BSN, RN, CMSRN; and Jessicia Emory, MSN/Ed, MHA, MBA, RN, NE-A, BC; Mentored by Susan Tavenier, PhD, APRn-CNS, AONC
- Enhancing Patient Safety through a Standardized Hand-off Process
- Angie Bixby, BSN, RN, CEN; Meghan Caraballo, BSN, RN; and Traci McGregor, BSN, RN, CEN, BC-NE; Mentored by Cara Gallegos, PhD, RN
- Care of Mental Health Patients in the Emergency Department
- Joy Erman, BSN, MS, RN, LPC; Mentored by Marty Downey, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, CHTP, CNE
- Guided Imagery: A Tool to Reduce Surgical Anxiety and Pain
- Beth Hirst, MSN, RN, RNC-NIC, NEA-BC; Mentored by Kim Martz, PhD, RN
- Examining the Successes and Challenges of the Clinical Nurse Leader Role in Inpatient Nursing Units
- Ryoko Pentecost, MN, RN, CCRC and Kristy Schmidt, MN, RN; Mentored by Jane Grassley, PhD, RN, IBCLC
- Screening for Substance Use during Pregnancy: Perceived Provider Barriers
- Kristen Anderson, BSN, RN, OCN; Mentored by Marty Downey, MSN, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, CHTP, CNE
- Foot Reflexology and its Effect on Nausea and Pain for Adult Oncology Inpatients: Attacking Side Effects Feet First
- Katherine Callanan, PT, MS, GCS, CEEAA and Julie Carr, MSN, RN; Mentored by Julie Swanson, MN, RNC-NIC
- Staying Active after Stroke
- Joan Agee, DNP, RN, CNOR
- Agee, J. (2017). Reducing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 30-Day readmissions: A nurse-led evidence-based quality improvement project. Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(1), 35-40. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000434
- Jenny Alderden, PhD, APRN, CCRN, CCNS
- Alderden, J.G., Cummins, M., Pepper, G.A., Whitney, J.D., Zhang, Y., Butcher, R., & Thomas, D. (2017). Mid-range Braden subscale scores are associated with increased risk for pressure injury development among critical care patients. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 44(5), 420-428. doi: 10.1097/WON.0000000000000349
- Alderden, J.G., Rondinelli, J., Cummins, M., Pepper, G., & Whitney, J. (2017). Risk factors for pressure injuries among critical care patients: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 71, 97-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.03.012
- Cindi Faith Bennett, MN, RN, IBCLC
- Bennett, C.F., Galloway, C., & Grassley, J.S. (2017). Education for WIC peer counselors about breastfeeding the late preterm infant. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Advanced online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2017.05.364
- Bennett, C.F. & Grassley, J.S. (2017). A community partnership to support breastfeeding mothers of late preterm infants. Nursing for Women’s Health, 21(4), 274-282. doi: 10.1016/j.nwh.2017.06.004
- Sara Palma, BSN, RN and Caleb Roberts, BSN, RN
- Strohfus, P.K., Kim, S.C., Palma, S., Duke, R.A., Remington, R., & Roberts, C. (2017). Immunizations challenge healthcare personnel and affects immunization rates. Applied Nursing Research, 33, 131-137. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2016.11.005
- Karen Patterson Stevens, MSN, RN, CEN
- Stevens, K.P. & Nies, M.A. (2017). Transforming nursing education in a 140-character world: The efficacy of becoming social. Journal of Professional Nursing. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.07.001
- Abigail J. Tesar, BSN, RN
- Gallegos, C., Tesar, A.J., Connor, K., & Martz, K. (2017). The use of a game-based learning platform to engage nursing students: A descriptive, qualitative study. Nurse Education in Practice, 27, 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2017.08.019
- Joan Agee, DNP, RN, CNOR
- A community-wide quality improvement project aimed to decrease COPD readmissions. Presentation at the 2017 Idaho Health Care Association Convention & Tradeshow, July 11-13, 2017, Boise, ID.
- Building a foundation for leadership excellence course. Presentation for course offered by the Nurse Leaders of Idaho, November 10, 2017, Meridian, ID.
- Community coalition drives change through use of lean methodology. Webinar presentation through Qualis Health Communities for Safer Transitions of Care, March 16, 2017.
- Reducing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 30-day readmissions: A nurse-led evidence-based quality improvement project. Featured presentation at the Northwest Hospital Alliance’s Navigating Through Care Transitions: Improving the Continuity of Care Conference, April 19-20, 2017, Coeur d’Alene, ID.
- Kristen Anderson, BSN, RN, ONC and Marty Downey, MSN, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, CHTP, CNE
- Foot reflexology and its effect on nausea and pain for adult oncology inpatients: Attacking side effects feet first. Poster presentation at the American Holistic Nurses Association 37th Annual Conference, June 5-10, 2017, Rancho Mirage, CA.
- Betsy Ayers BSN, RN, IBCLC
- Tools of the trade: Devices to support breastfeeding. Presented at the Idaho Breastfeeding Coalition Network’s 1st Annual Idaho Breastfeeding Summit, August 1-3, 2017, in Boise, ID.
- Cindi F. Bennett, MN, RN, IBCLC and Jane S. Grassley, PhD, RN, IBCLC
- Bridging the gap between hospital and home for breastfeeding late preterm infants. Paper presentation at the 2017 AWHONN Convention, June 24-28, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Denise M. Camacho, MSN, RN, MAOL
- Building synergy with a “flipped” nurse residency. Poster presentation at the Creative Healthcare Management: International Relationship-Based Care Symposium, June 20-22, 2017, Minneapolis, MN.
- Stacy Evans, MSN, RN, CMSRN, and Julie Swanson, MN, RN
- Transforming clinicians into nurse professional development practitioners. Podium presentation at the Association for Nursing Professional Development Annual Convention, July 18-21, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Debbie K. Ketchum, BSN, MAOM, RN, RNC-MNN, C-EFM and Julya L. Miner, BSN, RN, RNC-OB, C-EFM, CPHQ
- AWHONN GNOSIS Mothers and Babies First National Perinatal Safety Initiative Symposium. Panel presenters at the 2017 AWHONN Convention, June 24-28, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Cindy L. Koster, RN, BSN
- High risk pregnancy nurse navigator – Filling the gaps. Poster presentation at the 2017 AWHONN Convention, June 24-28, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Holly A. Lammer, BSN, RNC-OB, C-EFM
- The creation of a successful mindfulness-based perinatal program. Poster presentation at the 2017 AWHONN Convention, June 24-28, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Holly Lammer, BSN, RNC-OB, C-EFM and Kimberly Froehlich, MSN, RN
- Integrative therapies in the inpatient hospital setting. Poster presentation at the 2017 AWHONN Convention, June 24-28, 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Lisa Mayerhofer, MSN, RN and Susan S. Tavernier, PhD, APRN-CNS, AOCN®
- Blood storage duration as a predictor of well-being and fatigue. Poster presentation at the Oncology Nursing Society 42nd Annual Congress, May 4-7, 2017, Denver, CO.
- Mary E. Nelsen, BSN, RN, JD
- Successful integration of complementary therapies. Session moderator at the National Cystic Fibrosis Conference, November 2-4, 2017, Indianapolis, IN.
- Karen Patterson Stevens, MSN, RN, CEN
- From “you’ve got mail” to #hashtags: Faculty relevancy in a 140 character world. Podium presentation at the 2017 AACN Research Leadership Network (RLN) Conference, January 19, 2017, Coronado, CA.
- Dawn Swick, BSN, RN, CCRN
- Best practices for obtaining palliative care referrals in the ICU. Poster presentation at the Western Institute of Nursing’s 50th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference, April 19-22, 2017, Denver, CO