St. Luke's Nursing and Patient Care Center of Excellence supports clinical ethics throughout the organization by developing policy initiatives, providing ethics education, supporting research, and facilitating ethics consults. Anyone may request a consult – patients, families, doctors, nurses, social workers, or any other member of a patient’s health care team.
Our trained ethicists help resolve ethical dilemmas in all aspects of patient care and may assist with a variety of complex patient care issues, including:
- End-of-life concerns including advance directives and withholding or withdrawing medical interventions
- Considerations specific to life-sustaining treatment and do not resuscitate (DNR) orders
- Questions about surrogate decision-making
- Indecision or conflict surrounding medical decisions and goals of care
- Moral distress and moral uncertainty