Due to high demand for clinical experiences, observations are only available for students that are required to observe in order to apply for an educational program or for course credit.
Important notes to remember during your observation experiences:
- Observing is different than volunteering. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit Donate or Volunteer.
- Observations are hands-off student experiences, patient care is not permitted.
- Operating room observations are not permitted.
- Observations must meet prerequisites and be approved by a St. Luke's student coordinator.
- Observers must complete online orientation and wear a St. Luke's observer ID badge while on site.
To be eligible for an observation experience, you will be required to email vaccination/immunization and testing documents to your coordinator. Please plan accordingly as you will not be allowed to begin orientation until you have submitted the following:
- Tuberculin Testing
- Proof of a tuberculin skin test (TST) within the last 12 months
- If the TST is done by a 2-step boosted process, it must be verified by a primary care provider unless you test positive or have been medically deferred by a provider
- The TST must be read 48 to 72 hours after placement
- Or, interferon gamma release assay (IGRA) within the last 12 months. An IGRA is a type of blood test for detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis infection both latent tuberculosis infection and active tuberculosis disease
- To be completed within the past 10 years
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Proof of a series of three hepatitis B vaccines and a negative titer
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)
- Proof of two MMR vaccinations or a negative MMR titer
- Proof of two varicella vaccinations or a negative varicella titer
- Proof of influenza vaccination during annual flu season
Once you’ve obtained the necessary documentation to show prerequisite compliance, please follow the instructions specific to your area of interest/program as outlined below. If you're unable to find your program/discipline, please email us your name, area of interest, and the name of your school.
Aspiring Genetic Counseling Students
A minimum of four weeks prior to the potential start date for your requested observation, please email Cynthia Probasco
and attach the following documentation:
After receiving approval, you will need to complete online orientation
and schedule a time to pick up your observer badge.
Aspiring Med Students
Please review the pre-med observer criteria, which is different than what's listed above.
After receiving approval, you will need to complete online orientation and schedule a time to pick up your observer badge. For questions, please email Cynthia Probasco.
Aspiring Physician Assistant Students
Please allow two to three weeks to complete your observer orientation, which includes:
Aspiring Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Kinesiology, Athletic Training and Therapy Students (OT, PT Speech, Music and Recreational Therapies, Audiology)
A minimum of four weeks prior to the potential start date for your requested observation, please submit an email to Brenda Krueger
including the following documentation: