toggle mobile menu Menu
toggle search menu

Site Navigation



Your Baby's Birth Certificate and Social Security Number FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Click each question below for its answer:

Will I receive a birth certificate for my baby? How do I request a copy of a birth certificate?
No, you will not automatically receive a birth certificate. You’ll receive a notice from the State of Idaho Bureau of Vital Statistics (BVS) verifying that your baby's Birth Certificate Worksheet has been processed. If you did not provide a current address on the worksheet, or if you have recently moved, you’ll need to let the Bureau of Vital Statistics know about your change of address, in order to receive this verification.

If you would like a certified copy of your baby's birth certificate, it can be obtained only by request through BVS. Although the Birth Certificate Worksheet is filled out at the hospital where your baby is delivered, hospitals cannot provide a birth certificate.

To request a certified copy of your child's birth certificate, you may:

  1. Call BVS at (208) 334-5988 (English translation) or (208) 334-5980 (Spanish translation)
  2. Visit the Bureau of Vital Statistics website
  3. Hand-deliver your written request to BVS at 450 W. State St., Boise, Idaho.

You will be charged $13 for each certified copy.

I requested a copy of my baby's birth certificate several weeks ago, but have not received it.  What should I do?
Contact the State of Idaho Bureau of Vital Statistics at (208) 334-5988 (English translation) or (208) 334-5980 (Spanish translation).
On the Birth Certificate Worksheet that I filled out at the hospital, I opted to get a Social Security card for my baby, but I have not received it. What should I do?
If it has been less than 3 months since you filled out the worksheet, please be patient. If it has been more than 3 months, you may need to contact the Social Security Administration. Please be aware that if you did not fully complete the Birth Certificate Worksheet while at the hospital, the Bureau of Vital Statistics will not forward the information to Social Security Administration.

If you recently moved, you must contact the Social Security Administration, as the Post Office will not forward mail originating from Social Security.

What happens if I leave the hospital before making a decision about what to name my baby?
If you do not list a name for your baby, St. Luke's will hold the Birth Certificate Worksheet for approximately 10 days. During this time, you may return to the hospital and provide the name to our Birth Certificate specialist. You will need to bring legal photo identification with you for this purpose.

If a name is not provided within 10 days, the baby will be given the mother's last name. The worksheet will then be forwarded to the State of Idaho Bureau of Vital Statistics.
Can my baby have his fathers last name even if we're not married?
Yes. However, be aware that paternity is not established simply by last name. Legally, you can choose any first, middle, or last name for your baby. In order to establish legal paternity, you must fill out a Paternity Affidavit.
While filling out the Birth Certificate Worksheet at the hospital, I did not opt to get a social security number for my baby. I would now like to do so. What steps do I take to get one at this time?

Go to your local Social Security office. You will need to: 

  • Fill out an application (you must provide both parents’ Social Security numbers); 
  • Show evidence of your child’s age, identity, and citizenship; and 
  • Show evidence of your identity. 
Social Security will assign your child a number and mail the Social Security card directly to you.