toggle mobile menu Menu
toggle search menu

Site Navigation



Keep Children Safe

At St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital, we’re dedicated to keeping children safe and healthy.

Did you know that coin-sized button batteries are a choking hazard AND can cause serious injuries?

When a child swallows a button battery, the injury is similar to one caused by a chemical drain cleaner. Tissue damage and serious burns can occur within two hours, especially if lodged in the esophagus. The injury can become fatal within six hours.


Prevention is key. Check toys to make sure batteries are secure. And be aware of other items that can contain button batteries, including singing birthday cards, tealight candles, watches, remote controls, and digital thermometers. Always store these up and away from a child’s reach.

Warning Signs and What to Do

If you see warning signs, such as coughing and trouble swallowing, or suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, with or without symptoms,


If it’s handy, you CAN give the child a teaspoon of pure honey, but don’t delay medical treatment for it.

DON’T attempt to remove the battery or have the child eat, drink, or throw up. If saliva interacts with the battery, it can become more reactive.

If You Need Help

National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline:

Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

In an emergency, dial 911.


Contact St. Luke’s Injury Prevention Program
Magic Valley office: 208-814-7640
Treasure Valley office: 208-381-1719.