The internship program is currently inactive. Future dates and deadlines will be posted when the program recommences.
Thank you for your interest in the St. Luke's Children's Hospital Child Life Internship program. Child life is a vital component of the healthcare team providing services to:
- Pediatric intensive care
- Emergency department
- Surgical services
- Medical imaging
- Outpatient hematology/oncology clinic
The objective of this internship is to support career training by providing interns with opportunities to expand their knowledge of child life through a systematic, competency-based learning experience and a focused commitment to recognizing the impact illness and hospitalization has on families. We are committed to providing family-centered care and promoting the health, development, and emotional well-being of infants, children, youth, and families by advocating for:
- Assessment of understanding and coping skills
- Preparation for medical tests, procedures, and surgeries
- Therapeutic intervention designed to strengthen coping
- Developmentally appropriate healthcare education
- Play as a healing modality
Our internship program offers no stipend and does not guarantee future employment. Housing, transportation, meals, and medical insurance are the responsibility of the intern. Interns will fulfill requirements including but not limited to: orientation, background check, liability insurance, TB test, and updated immunizations.
2016 Winter/Spring Internship Dates
The internship program is inactive until further notice.
The deadlines and dates of the internship will be updated when the program recommences.
Potential interns must have completed, or be in the final semester of, undergraduate studies with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a strong academic background in growth and development. You must have completed 10 courses in child life or a related field, including a minimum of one child life course taught by a certified child life specialist.
You must have completed a minimum 150 hours of work or volunteer experience with children, preferably in a healthcare setting (i.e., hospitals, camps, developmental centers, etc.).
We offer a 600+ hour, 17-week internship supervised by certified child life specialists. Interns will complete three clinical rotations. Work days and hours will vary depending on the schedule of your rotation supervisor. Some nights and weekends may be required, and we strongly recommend interns have no other commitments during the internship.
Students will be expected to fully participate in the following:
- Observation of and experience in providing patient and family support through assessment, pre-procedural education and preparation, coping strategies, and play-based interventions.
- Documentation in the medical record.
- Multidisciplinary meetings, rounds, and special events.
- Assignments including, but not limited to: weekly readings and journals, presentations, and a major project.
- Regularly scheduled opportunities for verbal and written evaluation and intern support.
- Typed CLC Common Child Life Internship application (pdf)
- Academic transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Unofficial copy is acceptable.
- Two professional letters of recommendation from an academic professor, supervisor, or other professional who has directly observed your work with children. Please do not include personal letters of recommendation or more than two letters, as they will not be considered.
- Professional resume or curriculum vitae
- Documentation on institution letterhead of minimum 150 hours work or volunteer experience with children, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Eligibility assessment
- CLC Course Verification Form
Please be sure to send a complete application packet. Incomplete packets will not be considered.
Mail documents to:
St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital Child Life Services
Attn: Child Life Internship Committee
190 E. Bannock Street
Boise, Idaho 83712
Once your application has been reviewed, you may be called for an interview. Interviews will take place via video-conferencing only, and your time will be assigned. You will need Skype connectivity and immediate access to email. We will accept up to two candidates.