Many near-drowning and drowning accidents occur in the bathtub and can be prevented by following these recommendations:footnote 1
- Never leave a baby alone in the bathtub, even for a moment. Always keep the baby within arm's reach.
- Never leave children in charge of watching their younger siblings while bathing, even if they are in the tub with them. Drowning can occur very quickly and silently.
- A bath seat or ring does not prevent drowning. Do not assume a baby or young child is safe when he or she is left alone or with an older sibling while supported by these devices.
- Install nonslip strips or mats on the bottom of the bathtub.
- Always drain the water from the tub immediately after the bath.
Current as ofDecember 12, 2018
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
John Pope, MD, MPH - Pediatrics
Current as of: December 12, 2018