St. Luke’s Transfusion Services provides quality products to patients by following safe transfusion practices. We’re accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the Joint Commission, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The majority of our blood and blood products are supplied by our local American Red Cross (ARC).
St. Luke’s transfuses more than 13,000 products annually and provides specialized testing/products for neonates (NICU) and newborns, cancer patients, bone marrow transplant patients, specialized surgery cases, an active maternity center, and maternal fetal services. St. Luke's Transfusion Services incorporates a blood management program emphasizing the "5 Rs" of transfusion (Right Patient, Right Indication, Right Dose, Right Time, Right Product).
We use semi-automated/automated testing processes, a fully computerized lab system, and Lean Six Sigma practices to develop policies and procedures. We also act as a training institution for medical technologists in partnership with Idaho State University. St. Luke's offers therapeutic draw services Monday through Friday by appointment.
Test Menu and Services
For a complete list of sample requirements, please refer to the Comprehensive Test Menu
for available lab tests, specimen requirements and expected turnaround times.
- Antibody Elutions
- Antibody Identification
- Antibody Screen (Indirect Antiglobulin test)
- Antibody Titers
- Antigen Typing
- Cord Blood Testing
- Direct Antiglobulin Test
- Kleihauer Betke Testing
- Rhogam and MicroRhogam Workups
- Specialized Referral Testing
- Therapeutic Blood Draws (Boise Campus Only)
- Transfusion Reaction Workups
- Type and Screen
- Antigen Negative Units as needed – rare products obtained via ARC
- Autologous/Directed Donor Blood (when available)
- CMV Negative Products (PRBCs, Platelets)
- Cryo Poor Fresh Frozen Plasma – special request; see additional requirements
- Fresh Frozen Plasma – adult and pediatric
- Granulocytes – contact the Blood Bank for additional requirements
- HLA Matched Platelet Pheresis – contact the Blood Bank for additional requirements
- Irradiated (PRBCs, Platelets)
- Leukoreduced Packed Red Cells
- Leukoreduced Platelet Apheresis
- Small Volume Aliquots for Neonates/Children
- Uncrossmatched Blood for Air St. Luke's and emergency situations
- Washed PRBC or Platelets as needed – special requirements (in conjunction with ARC)