Types of Bariatric Surgery
Sleeve gastrectomy is an operation to remove much of the stomach, leaving a smaller, tubular stomach. This provides a feeling of fullness and satisfaction with a limited amount of food intake.
Advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Limits the amount of food that can be eaten at a meal.
- Food passes through the intestine in the usual order, allowing most vitamins and nutrients to be fully absorbed.
- Shown to help resolve type II diabetes, high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea and improve high cholesterol level.
Disadvantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Vitamin supplements are required.
- Nonreversible since part of the stomach is removed.
Your success with sleeve gastrectomy will depend greatly on your involvement in an exercise program and adherence to nutritional guidelines.